Music education is the essence of what the Rocky Mountain Songwriter Festivals are all about. It is our mission to support music education in the communities we live and host our festivals.
We offer Master Classes during our festivals so that songwriters of all levels can learn skills to hone their craft of songwriting. We conduct an annual songwriting contest for songwriters to compete for the opportunity to have their songs evaluated and judged by hit Nashville Songwriters. Finally and more importantly a portion of our proceeds from each festival go to promote and support music education in our local communities.
Since our inception we have gifted over $40,000 to fulfill this mission. This money has funded, instrument purchases, student travel, choir uniforms, and production equipment.
In 2019 we created the David M Kirby Memorial Music Scholarship. This annual endowment based scholarship will benefit a student pursuing an education in music at MSU-Billings. This scholarship honors a long time friend and supporter of the festival Dave Kirby. The first scholarship was awarded in December 2020.
- 2016 – $5,000 gifted to Operation Second Chance
- 2017 – $8,500 gifted to Red Lodge Public School Music Department
- 2018 – $10,000 gifted to Red Lodge Public School Music Department
- 2019 – $10,000 gifted to Red Lodge Public School Music Department
- 2019 – $10,000 used to create an endowment fund for music majors at MSU-Billings
- 2020 – no gifting since both festivals were postponed until 2021 due to Covid-19 concerns.
We look forward to carrying on this effort in 2021. Long live Live Music!!